Here at Moonshot, we’re all about progress over perfection. And we know that even the most diligent climatarians appreciate a sale every now and then.
So instead of telling you to ignore the hottest deals for the year or the products you really need, we’re asking you to join us in practicing mindfulness. That’s why we put together a guide to help you shop thoughtfully this holiday season.
#1 - Make sure you’re asking the right questions.
It can be easy to get sucked in by a good discount, but checking in with yourself can help your wallet and the planet. When you make your list and check it twice, ask yourself some (or all!) of the following questions:
- Do I need it?
- Will it bring me (or the person I’m gifting it to) joy?
- Does this brand I’m purchasing support the same values as me?
- Do I need two-day shipping, or can I wait for slower delivery?
- Is this brand prioritizing the climate / taking strides to reduce its carbon footprint?
Taking time to be mindful and set intentions before making purchases can help you prioritize what you really want and need.
#2 - Before you click ‘add to cart’ stop and think, can I sift, thrift or uplift this gift?
To figure out the best avenue for the gifts on your list - try these three options:
Before making a gift purchase, sift through what you already have!
If you’re not going to use a gift you’ve previously received, don’t let it go to waste. There is no shame in the regift game
If you do need to buy something, can you buy it secondhand (thrift it)?
The easiest way to thrift from home is with Beni’s second-hand shopping tool. The Beni browser extension helps you find the product you're looking for secondhand (it sometimes shows an exact match and other times shows a really close alternative).
- Beni aggregates all the best listings from 25 of the leading resale sites and can be used on nearly all clothing brand sites.
- All you need to do:
- Download the extension on your browser
- Shop your favorite sites
- Find and buy your pre-loved items thanks to the power of Beni!
Lastly, if you decide to buy new, try to uplift BIPOC and women-owned brands!
There are thousands of amazing small businesses to support in place of big box stores, and with a few extra seconds of searching, you might just stumble upon your new, favorite brand. Read on for some of our favorites…
#3 - Skip the big box stores, and try to source what you need from more sustainable and ethical retailers instead.
Shopping small businesses and retailers allows for unique gifting opportunities - that one-of-a-kind treasure for your loved one is waiting for you to find it. Here are a few of our favorites to keep in mind:
- Made Trade curates woman-owned, artisan furniture and home goods. Everything sold on their site is Fair Trade and Climate Neutral Certified. The company also gives back to environmental initiatives!
- Uncommon Goods is a certified B Corp that sells one-of-a-kind products & experiences, all wrapped in eco-friendly packaging. Shop here to find personalized gifts, home & kitchen goods, jewelry, and experiences.
- BLK + GRN is a Black-owned natural products online store that supports Black artisans. Shop here for truly unique gifts that are guaranteed cruelty-free and sustainably packaged.
- Goldune is for the extra chic climatarian who loves the planet but doesn’t want to sacrifice aesthetics. From home to kitchen to personal care, this marketplace curates the trendiest climate-friendly products and even gives each product a sustainability score for maximum transparency.
- Martie is a discount grocery retailer that is fighting food waste while offering snacks and pantry staples at extremely low prices. Shop here for all your holiday hosting needs!
For more information and insights on how to lead a more climate-friendly lifestyle, be sure to check out our Instagram and subscribe to our newsletter!